This time last year, I reunited with my bestie from college, Adam, after a 4 year hiatus, and hilarity again ensued. One day, we bought a little pack of two bite brownies at Whole Foods. While Adam drove, I handed him one brownie at a time so he could keep his eyes on the road. But then, misfortune. One dropped in my lap. Adam swiftly reached for it. There were only 4 brownies total in that little pack, so you understand the scarcity problem.
“WTF Adam, you just grabbed a brownie out of my crotch!”
And hence “crotch brownies” was born.
We’re so mature. If you must know, we’re on either side of the 30 fence.
I’m also testing out a batch of virgin coconut oil I received recently. There will be a full product review and a giveaway soon!
It worked beautifully in this recipe. I can smell the coconut but can’t really taste it. These brownies just taste of deep dark chocolate and salted pistachios. If you haven’t discovered the taste-bud explosion that is chocolate and salt yet, your taste buds will DANCE.
Brownies are a marriage of very few ingredients, so it’s important to get the very best. I stock up on 85% or 90% Lindt chocolate bars at Walgreens every time they have a 2 for $4 sale (which seems to be every other week). Use the good stuff. It’s the difference between a brownie that tastes like Ovaltine and one that tastes like a truffle bomb. This would be the latter, of course.
It’s also best to shell your own pistachios. I know it’s a pain, and you’re bound to eat every other one, but it’s cheaper and imparts a stronger pistachio flavor. Plus, you don’t have to use quite as many as I did. I admit I went a little overboard. There’s actually a double layer of pistachio crust in the center of my brownies, held together by a melted chocolate glaze. So decadent, but if you eat them in small squares, you can eat three in a row, no problem 😉
In other news, I’m going to LA this weekend!
Adapted from Baker's One Bowl Brownies and inspired by Bon Appetit's Salted Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with foil and grease the foil.
- Chop the chocolate and melt it with the coconut oil in a bain marie or double boiler.
- Stir in the sugar, hot water, and vanilla extract. Let cool slightly, then add in the beaten eggs. The outside of the bowl should not be hot to the touch, otherwise the eggs will scramble.
- Sift in the flour and mix well. Pour into the pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Chop the chocolate and melt it with the coconut oil. Pour it over the brownies.
- Sprinkle the chopped pistachios over the glaze and let cool.
- Once cool, lift the brownies out of the pan by holding onto the edges of foil, then peel the foil down the sides to cut and serve.
My gosh these look so decadent! I laughed about the crotch brownies it reminded me of my friends and I eating cake on long car drives 🙂
Haha yes! I’m perpetually fishing crumbs out of my lap in the car. Thanks for stopping by 🙂